Sex link duckling from Cayuga drake over buff hen?

Anamal25

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 20, 2011
I was hoping to get some sex link ducklings from my Cayuga drake and some buff hens. Has anyone done this or something similar before? I read some second hand info that quoted Stories Guide for ducks as saying that crossing a light colored duck to a dark color would produce sex link offspring in the first generation cross. I suppose either way I will have fuzzy ducklings so it's a win-win :)

Not all are sex linked though but many are. Never hurts to try and see as long as you are planning on keeping the ducks yourself. Many people won't want mixed breed ducks if you have to sell them.

I've never crossed that combination but I did get sexlinked ducklings when I crossed a Khaki campbell drake with a black swedish duck. All the brown babies were females and the black babies were all males :)

The info from Storey's is sex-link can be made by:

crossing any brown-colored drake that carries 2 brown dilution (d/d) or 2 buff dilution (bu/bu) genes onto females that are genetically black or gray..... The reciprocal cross of gray or black drakes X brown ducks is not sex-linked and will produce all gray or black progeny.

So, sorry but they won't be sex linked but they'll still be cute. ;)

Last edited:
The info from Storey's is sex-link can be made by:

crossing any brown-colored drake that carries 2 brown dilution (d/d) or 2 buff dilution (bu/bu) genes onto females that are genetically black or gray..... The reciprocal cross of gray or black drakes X brown ducks is not sex-linked and will produce all gray or black progeny.

So, sorry but they won't be sex linked but they'll still be cute.

Bummer, oh well. At least they will still be fuzzy! I really want to get some of Holderread's Welsh harlequins so will just have to pony up the cash and place an order.

I have 2 ducklings that are brother and sis. Their parents are a Cayuga and blue Swedish. One is a blue Swedish x Cayuga and the boy is a Cayuga x blue Swedish. Can I breed them even though they're brothers and sis? I don't have their parents and I really want more blue Swedish and Cayuga.

Btw I figured I would ask this here since we're talkin bout crosses and such ; )

I had my pekin drake mate with my Rouen hen. Their babies turned out beautiful. Males had classic Rouen duckling coloring and grew up with normal Rouen drake coloring. Females were mostly yellow with a black dot on their head and a black tail, they grew up with a Rouen hen pattern in a buff color. But thats the only crosses I've ever done but I'm sure any cross will turn out cute!

Here is that cross at 10 weeks. I have 3, they haven't quacked yet and I can't tell if they are male or female. 2 are grey and 1 is white with grey. They look great and are very friendly.

Back
Top Bottom