1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex link hens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mandierae, May 18, 2011.

1. mandierae

mandierae New Egg

May 13, 2011
    Hello all, I am trying to decide what breed of chickens I want to get. I am looking for good layers that are calm and easy to handle. I was thinking about Plymouth Rocks until I started looking into sex link hens. So, what is everyone opinion on sex links? Are they good layers? Do they go broody often? Are they pretty easy to handle?

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I've had a few BSL in the past, not in any great numbers mind you. A couple were really sweet, and a couple were really nervous. None went broody for me. Its prolly a good choice, since most purebred layers are really flighty.

3. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I have raised some sex-link hens from 3 day olds purchased at the local feed store.
    They have turned out to be very friendly. About half love being petted but all of them
    are very friendly and come running as soon as they see a human.
    They started laying at about 18-20 weeks and have been regular layers.
    They were designed for commercial operations so they are meant to lay daily for about 2-3 years.
    They aren't flighty and no picking on each other.
    Mine free range almost all day long but are content to stay cooped if needed.
    The down side to these dear birds is that they stop laying at a few years old and don't live very long
    after they quit laying.
    Mine are only turning 1 year old in June and haven't gone broody yet.
    I don't know if they will.
    I started out with a dozen 2 1/2 year old sex-links bought from a small commercial egg business
    and they stopped laying almost immediately and all died off within the next 8 months or so,
    except for one named blondie who lived on for a year and a half longer. She never layed an egg but she was a real sweetheart.

4. mandierae

mandierae New Egg

May 13, 2011
    Thanks so much for the info guys. I did not know that they only lay for a short time and don't live long. I think I will go with the Plymouth Rocks!

5. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    In all reality, although 2 yrs is a really short life-span, most chickens don't lay as well after 2 yrs. In most commercial places, chickens are raised for the first year (most productive), and sometimes kept for a second (less but bigger eggs).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by