sex link mix , infertile??????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by woogie g3, Nov 29, 2010.

1. woogie g3

woogie g3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    i have 2 black sex link hens and a rhode island red rooster.... and i incubated a few of there eggs and hatced out 1 little chickit turned out to be a rooster ....i was wondering if the black mixed with rhode island red is infertile....he is older now but not crowing yet.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. woogie g3

Aug 5, 2010
    does anyone know??????[​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Since one of the eggs hatched, the rooster is not infertile. He may have been so young that his technique or sperm count was poor, or you may have incubated pullet eggs, or there may have been problems with the incubation. My guess is that future batches will show increased fertility. Crack a few eggs and check for the bullseye indicative of fertility.

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Are you asking if when you cross different breeds of chickens will the chicks be sterile? If so, then no, they won't be sterile. They'll be just as fertile as purebreds, or perhaps even more so due to hybrid vigour. Keep in mind that Black Sex-Links are actually a crossbreed themselves!

As far as your rooster, I've had some that waited to crow as late as eight months old. [​IMG]

5. woogie g3

Aug 5, 2010
    ok i was wondering because someone had told me the when you cross any sex-link that there offspring was not fertile...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Crossing a sex-link does not create infertile offspring. It does create, however, offspring that is no longer sex-linked. They are just regular mixed breed chickens then.

7. woogie g3

Aug 5, 2010
    ok thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by