sex link? or not?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Andreabroom, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Andreabroom

Andreabroom New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    OK I have a question. I have delaware hens and added a black jersey giant rooster. Here are pics from my first hatch with this combo. I'm wondering if they are sex linked or not? Anyone with experience? I also put a pic of my roo. [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    The rooster is not a black jersey giant, they should be completely black, your rooster looks like a mix, which might effect sexlinking depending on the roosters background.

The chicks should be black with and without a headspot, and you got not black chicks, so I dont think they are sexlinked, but I dont have much experience creating sex links

Just looked it up, and those chicks will not be sex linked, for black sexlinks the females have to be barred, and fro red sexlinks the rooster has to be a gold/red rooster, and neither of those situations apply here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

If you were to put a RIR or such over the hens, then they would be sex links

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

4. Andreabroom

Andreabroom New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    Yes the more research I do the more i learn! So far I've gotten 3 solid blacks, one black with the spot, and 5 chipmunk coloring. I wasn't really going for sex linking I just was wondering if i got lucky. Doesn't matter to me. Thanks for the input. This group is amazing!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree with Sunshine0235. Your chicks will not be sex linked.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think the black chicks are sex linked. The Delaware hen carries barring, just not the extended black. So, her male offspring will get a barring gene from her, and the females won't. I think the white spot chicks are male, the solid heads are female....on the black chicks. The chipmonks are wild cards and not sex linked. I'm not sure if that color comes from the rooster being a mix with maybe birchen genes, or the Delawares being less than pure.

Just going on my instinct, I think the chipmonk in the back, with the clear, defined markings, is female and the smudgier chipmonk in the front is male. Be interesting to see if I'm right!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

8. Andreabroom

Andreabroom New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    Oh that is a fun theory! I'm very excited to see how these guys grow up. 6 more chicks hatched yesterday. 5 are more smudgy and one of them has the defined chipmunk stripping. No more black which is interesting. 35 More in my other incubator. This is fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by