Sex link Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickie_momma, Sep 4, 2008.

1. chickie_momma

chickie_momma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    4 of my new chickies are red sex links. I was just wondering if anyone had any info of health problems, or anything I need to watch out for with sex links?

Thanks!!!

2. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Their eggs are x-large and they are not that big of a hen. So mine are prone to be egg bound. So far they have resolved it themselves.
    Very nice hens.

3. The Squawk Box Fresh Eggs

The Squawk Box Fresh Eggs Out Of The Brooder

i have quite a few red sex links (shaver reds)

Pros: x-tra large and sometimes SUPER JUMBO eggs, very friendly, very gentle, quiet, afraid of the things there supposed to be afraid of, immune to most health problems.

cons: terrible foragers...constantly wanting feed, egg binding prone (i had one hen die from it), roosters are just as aggrssive as RIR roos, small size.

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I have 5 Red Sex Links and they are great. They started laying at 15 weeks. Nice birds too. They let me hold them.

5. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Are Red Sex Links the same as Red Stars? And black sex linked as Black Stars?

6. chickie_momma

chickie_momma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    How profilific (sp?) are sex links?

7. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    We have a black star (same thing as sex link, just a different term). Ours is just a 3 week old chick, but it is the biggest spaz of any of our 10 little hens. It is the smallest of them, but the most assertive and aggressive. It hates to be handled and freaks out every time. We have a pretty good mix of chicks - EEs, white leghorns, barred rocks, australorp, and black star. In terms of the chicks attitudes as far as the different breeds we have goes, the EEs (mutts) are the calmest and friendliest, then australorp, barred rock, leghorn, black star. I can say if she does not calm down she will probably never have a chance to lay an egg, she will be roosting in my cast iron pan.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My red sex link(star) is HUGE and I can imagine that she will have big eggs. She is 20 weeks today and still, no eggs:(
    She runs from our Delaware roo but he catches her every once in awhile and appears to have been successful in doing his thing.
    My black star is also good sized, loves to be held, loved and petted, but at 19 weeks today, no eggs:(

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  9. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    My red sex link lays huge eggs, I have to put them in jumbo cartons because closing large egg cartons breaks them. She can be bossy with the younger generation, and she doesn't mix much with the other hens, but they all grew up together and she was added later, so it could be a class system issue. Very sweet, lets me pick her up and pet her when none of the others will.

10. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    My red sex linked layed 6 HUGE eggs per week without fail even when she was molting and through the winter, and very often she would lay 7 eggs per week!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by