1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex link Question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AmieD, Dec 15, 2016.

1. AmieD

AmieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    I crossed a RIR roo with a Dominique... would the sex link rule for Barred Rocks apply? I believe it is a white dot on the male's head and solid black for female. Thanks.

2. AmieD

Jul 19, 2016
    I also bred a RIR roo over a Cream Legbar. Would I be able to sex these by feathers? Thanks again. I know there are breeding charts, but I couldn't find anything with Cream Legbars or Dominiques.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, your Dominique hen will make nice black sex link crosses with the Red rooster. Any black barred hen (Dominique, cuckoo Marans, barred Cochin, etc..) will work.

In theory, so should the Legbar hen. But, part of the recipe is that one of the birds carry extended black, so the barring indicator (white headspot) is visible against the chick down. Legbars don't have black, so I'm not sure how that's going to work. As the birds age, you'll be able to tell who is barred (males) and who is not (females), but that's after they feather out.

There are some Legbar hybrid threads, you might cruise around them and see if anyone has done that and had good results.

And if you haven't seen it, here's a wonderful post on sex link genes

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

4. AmieD

Jul 19, 2016
    Thank you. I did a hatch of 5 out of our own eggs. The Dominique's egg was named already "Little Momma." I have three boys and the older two named the Dominique, Black Mamba after the snake, the youngest is 3 and calls her Black Momma. He loves her so much that we added her egg in so she really could be a momma. I guess our chick is Mr. Little Momma now. :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Black Mamba, that always reminds Of the "Kill Bill 1 @ 2 movies." His assassination squad, all women had poisonous snake names. Lots of blood, gore & worse but wow, the excellent sword play.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by