Sex- Link Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by monarc23, Dec 30, 2008.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    So! I hope what im about to ask all makes sense [​IMG]

Okay, I have 2 dozen eggs in my incubator, all but 3 are "golden comets" (RIR roo x White Leghorn hens). The other three are pure RIR.

Tomorrow im getting a small flock of RIR chickens (whom are 2 years old so i hope they're still laying) assuming these birds DO still lay by the time my above chicks are mature.

What can I expect from a RIR roo crossed with Golden Comet hens? Will they still be a sort of sex-link? If so will they still be considered a golden comet?

I read that sexlinks- being hybrids, that by breeding a roo sex link to a hen sex link you wont get the same out-come.....so...they WON'T be sexlinks I assume? I don't plan on keeping a sex link roo for this reason.... but i just want to make sure what i read was right.

Thanks so much for any help! [​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    You will not get sex-links by breeding your RIR over the golden comets. You'll end up with birds that probably look like RIR.

You are correct about the sex-link rooster.

Sex-linking is only good for the first generation unless it is a characteristic of the breed (i.e. welsummers & barred rocks)

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:darn! LOL! Oh well, either I'll get some White Leghorn hens then, or I'll just stick with my plan of RIR to Golden Comet hens, and let everyone know their cross before I sell the hatching eggs [​IMG]

Thank you for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by