Sex-link question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Buster, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Will crossing a buff orp rooster on a cuckoo marans hen produce sex-linked offspring?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:I think you'd get something along the lines of a golden comet.

3. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    I don't know. Red sex link are RIR roster over Delaware hen or White Leghorn. Black sex link are RIR roster over Bard Rock hen.

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    You will basically get a black sexlink. The males will be barred and the females will be black with some gold showing.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I can't remember if buff = red or not as far as sex linking.

My RIR's mate my Marans and the offspring are VERY distinct. I don't think they are sex linked, though. They all more or less look the same (unless, of course, I just happened to have all cockrels or all pullets as offspring).

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks everyone. I know that there are specific "Sex-links" that are popular. I am wondering if anyone knows if the offspring from this cross are sex-linked as well.

I have hatched about 10 of these chicks are they are very distinct compared to my other chicks but it never occurred to me that they may be sex-linked. Hmmmmmmmm................

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    You should get a sexlink due to the sexlinked barring that the cuckoo maran hen(s) have and the rooster is gold. You could even use a solid black/blue bird with a cuckoo/barred hen and get sexlinks. A good cross that we have done was a welsummer rooster on cuckoo maran hens, it made dark egg laying sexlinks.

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

OK, so the chicks that I had that were grey with a barring pattern were probably pullets and the ones with gold barring were probably cockerels, right? I wish I could remember what the looked like when they first hatched. I'm going to have to go look at some pictures of them now.

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I only have 2 pics of the chicks from when they were day-olds but looking at them, some had brown faces and some were solid black. I almost wish I still had them here to compare to each other. The next time I hatch these out I'll pay more attention to how they start to feather out (if I do this cross again). Very interesting.

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:So they need to start feathering out first? I just re-read this thread and realized I missed this post last night. That would mean the ones showing gold would be the pullets not the cockerels. Any idea what they would look like as chicks?

Also, I just so happen to have a Welsummer cockerel running around here with nothing to do. Can the Welsummer/Cuckoo Marans crosses be sexed at hatching or do you have to wait for them to start feathering out? Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by