Sex Link Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bigspringshatchery, Sep 6, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I have a couple of questions regarding sex links.

1. I have two sex link hens. One is a barred rock and rir mix I bought from a hatchery. The other is the offspring. Of the first one and a rir rooster. If I breed these two hens with either a barred rock or a Dominique rooster what would the offsprings look like?

2. A man gave me 2 buff orp roosters and I have no use for them. So if I breed one with 2 of my rir hens what would I get?

Thanks.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    1. I have two sex link hens. One is a barred rock and rir mix I bought from a hatchery. The other is the offspring. Of the first one and a rir rooster. If I breed these two hens with either a barred rock or a Dominique rooster what would the offsprings look like?

The one from the hatchery, from a RIR rosoter and a Barred Rock hen, is a black sex link. Her offspring is not a sex link.

If you breed the first one, the true sex link, to a Barred rooster, whether BR or Dominique, the offspring will be barred. The predominant colors should be black and white, but some red could come through. Not definitely will, but could. You don't know what genes you are getting from the sex link hen.

I'm not sure what her offspring has as a father so I cannot know what her offspring crossed with a barred rooster would look like. Probably predominantly barred black and white since black and barred are usually dominant, but not sure.

2. A man gave me 2 buff orp roosters and I have no use for them. So if I breed one with 2 of my rir hens what would I get?

You should get a chicken that is darker red than the Buff Orp and lighter red than the RIR. It will have a black tail and maybe black around the neck. The feathers will probably be pretty fluffy and thick. I have not done that specific cross, but I suspect the tail may not be solid black, but pretty sure it will have some black in it. It will not be a sex link.

3. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    The father of the offspring of the sex linked hen is a rir.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by