1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex link question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Senna95, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    I'm hoping to breed and raise some sex link chicks this year. I've got barred rock, white rock, and silver laced wyandotte hens, and new hampshire roosters. I know that the barred rock and silver-laced wyandottes will produce Cinnamon Queen and Black star respectively, but I'm a little confused on the white rocks:

From what I've read, they need to have the "silver factor". What exactly is this? Do all white rocks have this, or only some? And how do I find out if mine do?

Thanks...

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Firstly. NHR roo with SLW hens DO NOT make Cinnamon Queens !!! Stay away from the the Feathersite sexlink page for information if that's where you go that from, there's several bits of false information on that page and so many get misinformed. That cross will make sexlinks though still, its just that the Cinnamon Queens (as sold by Cackle) are single combed and red with white tails., if you use SLW hens with red roos, you sexlink pullets you get will be ROSE combed and will be red with black tails and probably have a messy indication of lacing.

And yes the Barred Rock hens with the Red or any other non barred roo will make black sexlinks.

And a for the "silver factor" this is what is required in hens for making red sexlinks, they must have sexlinked silver and in a pattern that it can be expressed in, like in the SILVER laced wyandottes, the "white" coloring on them is Sexlinked Silver, not white. The Silver Columbian pattern like in Delawares, Light Sussex, and Light brahmas is also good for making sexlinks when bred to a pure gold gened roo. However, with the White Rocks, they also have Recessive white which hides the underlying color, so there's no way to know what color they are under the white and if they have the silver gene until you breed them or unless you know their genetic history. So yes some strains have it and some don't. This is why in general, recessive white breeds shouldn't be used in a sexlink cross. Where did you get your White Rocks from ?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  3. Senna95

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Hmmm..... I believe that it WAS feathersite that I got my information from. I just finished reading a great post on sex-links on here by "tadkerson". It was a lot of help. You've probably seen it.

I guess the only way to find out if my white rocks carry the silver is to breed them to my NH roos. (I got them from Ideal Poultry BTW)

Thanks for the info.

Also....... I've got a couple of cucoo marans hens in with my black and blue (true) ameracaunas hens and roos. They should produce sex-link olive eggers, right?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  4. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Ok well you may be in luck then, because ironicly enough, I am also trying to track down a strain of. Silver Columbian based white rocks without dominant white, and I just a few days ago emailed Ideal and asked if the White rocks they sell as pure white rocks were the same strain they use in their Brown Sexlink cross and they said they were, so if they are telling the truth, then you should be able to make sexlinks with them that will be like Ideals Brown Sexlink. So now I'm axious to hear if you do get sexlinks, are your birds old enough to breed yet ?

And yes I have read Tims AWESOME page on sexlink breeding and have helped answer several questions on that thread. There the ultimate source of accurate sexlink info all in one place.

And yes if your Cuckoo Marans hens lay dark eggs, you should get blue and black sexlinked olive eggers, but if they are hatchery hens and only as dark as normal brown eggs, then you will green eggs rather than olive, but yes, sexlinked either way.

5. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
  6. Senna95

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Hi Clint,

Thanks for all the info. My White Rocks are only about 3 or 4 months old right now, so it'll be a while. I'll keep you posted if you want.........

Happy Holidays!
    Lisette

7. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    You're welcome and yes I would love to hear how they turn out. Do you have any pics of your white rocks now ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by