Sex-link questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cackle, Oct 27, 2008.

1. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I know you get black sex-links from a BR hen and a RIR rooster. What combo of breeds get you the other sex-links?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think feathersite has a little write up on sexlinks under their "sexlinks page"

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that you cross a RIW with a RIR to get some kind of sex-link. [​IMG]

4. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Do you have a link? If not I will do a search when I get home from work.

thanks

Susan

5. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Ideal Hatchery has descriptions about all of theirs. How they get each one. I haven't checked McMurray but they might as well.

6. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Sorry for the double post. Said it didn't send but it did. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  7. lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Can you breed sex links? I have 20 and I have read that you wont get the same thing....what will you get or should you not breed them?

8. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Black Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Barred Plymouth Rock females.

Brown Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and silver factor White Rock females.

Gold Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Rhode Island White females.

Red Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Delaware females.

I found that information HERE <---------Klick

When you breed chickens, the male chicks ALWAYS receive their genetic information found in the breeder hen's chromosomes. However, female chicks can't acquire traits from the breeder hen.

Therefore, remember that when a hen with certain special characteristics is bred with a rooster without it, all the male chicks will receive it but not the females. Pullets usually are just like their father, while all males end up just like their mother.

That information is from HERE <-------Klick------ there is more information on that site.

Hope that helps. I am new to this so this is stuff I am finding out as well.​

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by