sex-link roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dinahmoe, Dec 27, 2009.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    i got these as easter chickens from my feed store(which got them from ideal poultry).just curious if they were sex linked roos, so i don't get anymore..they were nice babies but maturity set in and they started attacking anything and were very aggressive with the hens(more than need be).they were also huge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Yes they look Sex Link.When you cross golden Columbian male with silverColumbian female-like RIR roo and Columbian Rock hen; you will have red hens and boys like your roosters .And they can be sexed at hatch-boys white,girls golden-red.

3. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    sex link first one..i think ...sexlinks dont usually have black tails... and the last one is a columbian rock [​IMG]

4. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    If you cross the Wt. Columbian male over the red female you can get the same results as both of these roos show espescially the one with the brassiness/rusty red bleeding through the(pyle zone) wing bow area, back and saddle feathers.

catdaddy

5. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    sorry about the first pic-he looks just like the 2nd pic but with red feathering in his wings.thanks

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    got me stumped. Only Sexlink roos I have had are the black ones and they looked like the pics from Ideal (also where they come from). I never had a problem with the 2 roos I had they grew up together and only did very short fights just to establish the pecking order. And all the hens were sweet and normally kept the pecking order without fighting unless the top girl got got. If they are sexlinks I would say they would be red sexlinks. Not sure. [​IMG]
    www.welphatchery.com Has a pic of what they call a red sexlink but the tail is not dark like yours. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  7. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I would say they are hatchery type Columbian Rocks or what some hatchery is trying to pass off as Columbian Rocks. They are deffinately crosses of something that resembles them anyway. I don't think they are red sex-link type roos either as they would be mostly white with some red bleeding through the hackles, wing bows, and saddle areas, with a white tail.

catdaddy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by