Sex link why does it matter which breed is the roo?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Delmar, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

I am aware that when you breed an RIR roo with a Barred Rock hen you get black sex link chicks, but if you breed a RIR hen with a Barred rock you don't. Can anyone here explain why? I don't get it.

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I wish I could explain, but I can't. Long ago my mother and mother-in-law just temporarily swapped roos to collect the eggs and hatch sex-links.
    I can't remember half of the chicks not being true to the sex-link rules. All I remember is a bunch of little black and rust pullets and lots of meat birds that we knew from the start.
    Mom did the incubating and she may have omitted the RIR eggs. Her memory isn't as good as it used to be. Mom-in-law's eggs may have been the ones used for frying and selling and Mom's eggs may have been used for hatching. IDK. I thought they were all incubated.

3. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Quote:Me either. [​IMG] DH may know - we are currently hatching sex links from my NHR roo & his BR hens. He is not here or I could ask him .

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:Hens pass the sexlinked barring gene to their sons only, but roosters pass their barring to all chicks, hence, the hen must be the one that is barred, in the black sexlinks. Males are barred and females are black with some red leakage around the hackles and chest.

There are other types of sex links, too, though. I have had sexlinks from a Silkie/Cochin cross rooster over BR hens. Male was barred, females were solid black. Have had sexlinks from Silver Phoenix rooster over BR hens. Males looked like BR pullets (dark with barring) and female was solid black.

From Feathersite:

Both Red and Black Sex-Links use a red male for the father. Either a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire may be used.

Black Sex-Links are produced using a Barred Rock as the mother. Both sexes hatch out black, but the males have a white dot on their heads. Pullets feather out black with some red in neck feathers. Males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers. Black Sex-Links are often referred to as Rock Reds.

Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses. White Rocks with the silver factor (the dominant white gene would produce all white offspring) are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Golden Comet. Silver Laced Wyandotte crossed with New Hampshire gives the Cinnamon Queen. Two other crosses are obtained with Rhode Island White x Rhode Island Red, and Delaware x Production Red. These two crosses are simply called Red Sex-Links. Males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways.

1. Buff with white or tinted undercolor (such as Golden Comet, Rhode Island Red x Rhode Island White)
    2. Red with White or tinted undercolor (Cinnamon Queen)
    3. Red with Red undercolor (Delaware x Production Red) (In this color pattern it is almost impossible to distinguish daughters' color from father's color.)​

5. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I am smart like a bag of hammers today but I wonder why this happened?

I used a Cuckoo Marans Rooster on Black Amerucana hens and the males came out with a dot on their head and lightly barred and the females were black with a little white underneath.

[​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There is a sticky at the top of this forum on sex-linking. It will answer most of the questions asked here.

7. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Bart that is too cool for school! You found yourself a sex link combo for olive eggers! Is that correct?

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, they aren't sex linked. Even the females of that cross probably had the vaguest of spots on the head. Barred Rooster over anything isn't sexlinked.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Bart that is too cool for school! You found yourself a sex link combo for olive eggers! Is that correct?

If you cross a Barred male with a non-barred hen all of the offspring should come out Barred...
    Makes me think that the Cuckoo Marans Rooster wasn't pure for his Barring, he may have been out of a Barred/ Black cross.

Chris

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:The hen was non-barred. The rooster was split. By pure luck yours came out that way.

Look at it this way. As Speckledhen said, the hens only give their gene to the sons, but the father gives a gene to his sons and his daughters.

Use "B" as barred and "b" as not barred. The mother only had a b. The father has Bb, one barred and one not barred. Which gene he gives to his offspring is purely random.

For the female child, she gets either a B or a b from father, so she is either barred or not depending on which she got. In your case all your pullets just happened to get not barred.

For the male child he got a not barred from his mother but will get either a B or a b from his father. By pure luck, all the male offspring were Bb. Since all he needs is one barred gene to show barred, your males were barred.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by