Sex Link ?

sorry not trying to hi jack your thread just adding a question to it.

i dont know but i was wondering about what makes a sex link too and what the differences would be if they are sexlinked.

what about a barred rock roo over a gold laced hen ?
or a rir roo over a gold laced hen?

A white leghorn male over a wyandotte female would probably make a sex link with the rate of feather growth alleles.

The female flights would show longesr at hatch.

Barred male over gold laced female wouldn't work but gold laced male over barred female would work.

The males would have white headspots.

RIR X gold laced wouldn't work either way round.

Red sex-linked

black-tailed red male over a columbian silver female ( the best cross)

Example: production red over a delaware

Black sex linked

any non barred male chicken over a barred and black female

Try the search function at the top of the page in the blue bar. Lots of discussion on the topic.

Click on search-

Enter sex linked in the Keyword Search box

in the Forum box pick Breeds, Genetics and & Showing

Click on submit

Start reading

Tim

Last edited:
A white leghorn male over a wyandotte female would probably make a sex link with the rate of feather growth alleles.

So could you breed a white leghorn male over a golden-laced wyandotte and you would get a Red Star(or Red Sex-Link)?​

So could you breed a white leghorn male over a golden-laced wyandotte and you would get a Red Star(or Red Sex-Link)?

No, it wouldn't be a gold/silver sex link. It would be using a different sex linked gene which affects rate of feather growth.

Sex links an be made from any gene on the Z sex chromosome which has an effect which is visible at hatch.

As Tim said there is a lot of info available about sex links by using the search function at the top.​

I got a white chick from a White Leghorn/SL Wyandotte cross and was just curious if I could tell if it was a male or not by color.

Last edited:
The chicks adult color will be white. You can not use white leghorns to do a sex linked cross involving the color of the day old chick. A person would have to breed a special kind of white leghorn to do a sex linked cross that deals with color. Rate of feather growth can be used as others have stated.

Tim

Last edited:
Ok thanks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom