sex-linked bantums

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cheezenkwackers, Jan 5, 2017.

1. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    A high school Biology student of mine, asked if we could try hatching some of her Bantum's eggs in class and I think the chicks that hatched were sex-linked but I would like your opinion. Her rooster is a Red Pyle Old English Game Bantum and I believe most of her girls are Silver (they look white with a touch of gray in her pictures). Four eggs hatched the week before Thanksgiving. Two of the chicks were red or golden, and two were silver. I looked up information about red sex-linked and it seemed to fit our chicks. So, I figured the gold chicks were girls and the silver two males. Now that we are back in school from Christmas break my student has confirmed that that was correct. Coincidence? Or Sex-linked?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Chicks when they hatched. The last day that were in my class before Christmas break (4 weeks).

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If the rooster were truly a Red Pyle, than none of those chicks should have black patterning. The dominant white of the rooster would replace the black pigment with white.
    Also, would need pics of the hens to ensure that they really are silver. White with a touch of grey could describe Splash hens.

3. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    He might not be, she didn't know what kind they were (they came from the Memphis zoo). We came up with Red Pyle by looking at pictures. As for the girls, I will ask her for a picture. If I remember correctly, they were all white with just a touch of gray on the wing.
    So, you think it was just a coincidence?

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Without seeing the parent birds, I have no way of knowing if what you describe is accurate in terms of genetics. Could be sexlinked, could be coincidence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by