Sex-Linked Chickens - what size?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tilly&Milly's Mom, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Tilly&Milly's Mom

Tilly&Milly's Mom New Egg

Aug 30, 2011
    Hi, everyone. I'm wanting to get a few sex-linked chicks and am interested to know their approximate size when full-grown? What might they weigh? These are for pets only - don't eat chickens / don't eat eggs - just want them for backyard pets. I'd be interested to hearing your experience with the RedStars and BlackStars - temperament, especially. Many thanks, mjc

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think most sex-link hens are around five pounds.

3. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    About leghorn sized -- they are mean to other chickens, but they are friendly enough to us humans.

4. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Mine are larger than leghorns, and much nicer than leghorns!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The very best sex-links I've ever owned are Black Sex links. Calm, friendly EGG LAYING MACHINES.

I had one girl that went 93 days without missing a day laying once and she laid very well, even until she was almost FOUR YEARS OLD.

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    It depends where you get them and what breeds are crossed to make them.

Plymouth rocks are very friendly if you're looking for pets; barred rocks are very commonly used in black sex link. BSL are also very pretty! :)

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agree. We're talking about dozens and dozens of hatcheries producing many strains.

The Red Sex links I've had are tiny birds, 3 1/2 lbs?? yes, somewhat larger than a leghorn, but not by much. The RSL roosters were larger, maybe 5 lbs.

The Black Sex Links were thicker birds, maybe 4 1/2 lb hens and 6-7 lb roosters.

8. chicknubee

chicknubee New Egg

Jan 29, 2012
    Central PA coal country
    I have just ordered black and redlink chickens. I ordered them for their eggs. I understand they are docile and friendly, which is why I also wanted these breeds. I orded Rhode Island Reds too. Antone have a thought about my choices? Anyone want to chime in on what other egg layers are worth mentioning?

9. chicknubee

chicknubee New Egg

Jan 29, 2012
    Central PA coal country
    Please excuse my typos, Fred.

10. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    It is so variable depending on how you like your chickens to look, what attitudes you find attractive... I got an australorp kinda just for fun (I needed 7 chicks to complete my order), and she's now my friendliest chicken. I've heard that wyandottes can be standoffish, but one of my columbian wyandottes (the one in my avatar) is the first to come running for treats. My rocks are actually the least friendly/quirky of my current flock, though I love their partridge coloring. Personally, I love having "two of each" - that's my version of chicken math and a darn good thing I don't have any singles right now!!!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by