Sex linked combs?

Rockpile99

Songster
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
Longmont
I let my broody BO hatch out a couple eggs from my mixed flock of laying chickens.

The two that hatched are defintely from a brown leghorn hen (only one I have that lays white eggs) and three choices of daddy. Cuckoo Marans, BTB Wyanotte or BTB Silkie. Based on their coloring I've pretty much ruled out the Marans and based on feather type (beside his size) I've ruled out the silkie. The breast on these two is developing some lovely buff coloring and I can't wait for them to mature. I just noticed a couple of days ago that each one has a different comb type. Is comb type sex linked, or did I just get the luck of the draw and from two chicks got a comb type from each parent?

25689_kucera_2010_stock_3.jpg

25689_022_-_copy.jpg

They are approx 3 weeks old in these pics.

Last edited:
If Father was Marans they wiil be white leged,mostly black barred and no Rose comb.They do not have any thing from Silkie.I think father is a Wyandotte

Thanks VE, as stated I've already ruled out the Marans - cuckoo, so besides leg color they would be barred, and ruled out silkie.

My question is this - Can I tell sex by the combs? Are comb types sex linked?

We should know the sex in a couple of weeks.... but I'm guessing you are correct about the sex link thing.

In the lower pic, roo on the left, pullet on the right.

No, combs are not sex linked. If you get one male one female with these two, it is pure coincidence. Sample size way too small to show the 'true ratio'. If you hatch out 30 more from wyandotte x leghorn you will notice a 50/50 single comb, rose comb... in both sexes.

If anything, the single combed chick proved the wyandotte is heterozygous for rose comb(is not that rare anyways).

No problem. Another thing about rose combs- roosters pure for rose comb have reduced fertility. Their sperm live for just 3 days, compared to a week or more for all other comb types, including sperm from heterozygous rose combs. So as a result, single comb can tend to float around in a rose comb breed since the het. roosters will be 'more fertile'. So.. not shocking this rooster threw a single combed chick..

Fertility in females are unaffected with all comb types. Even hens pure for rose comb have normal fertility.

Back
Top Bottom