SEX LINKED EASTER EGGERS?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jasondgarza, Feb 4, 2016.

1. jasondgarza

jasondgarza Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    Greenville TX
    If I cross this roo with my barred rocks would I get sex link easter eggers? I know I would get sex links with the welsummer roo behind him but he's still a teenager lol. [​IMG]

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    No

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Almost any male (except for white or barred) over barred hens will produce sex links. So yes, he should produce sex linked chicks. His comb doesn't look like a typical pea comb, so I am not sure his daughters would lay a green egg though.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Your roo has a lot of white feathering. So... not sure how successful the sex linking will be. As far as the egg color, the only way you'll know for sure if he carries the blue egg gene is to try it. My avatar roo makes beautiful EE sex links. You might want to take your ? to the sex linked information thread.

5. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    it appeared to me he has a lot of white and also has barring in his chest

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    agreed.

7. jasondgarza

Jun 13, 2015
    Greenville TX
    He does have a lot of white no barring though more splotches than anything. All his sisters from that hatch lay green eggs. Just curious because I love his color. May just keep him with the other easter eggers. Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated. :)

8. jasondgarza

Jun 13, 2015
    Greenville TX
    Ok so update on my cross. I ended up with several white chicks with a few black spots on them and several that came out black sex link. All with pea combs and slate colored legs. Wierd how genetics works but they are so cute. All of them have the muffs and beards too. I'm happy with the outcome but thought I would share. Hopefully get some green eggs from the cross.

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you got white chicks, the rooster is dominant white. Not the best choice for sexlinking, since the white will mask any barring present. Any chicks with barring will be male, but the white ones will be wait and see.

10. jasondgarza

Jun 13, 2015
    Greenville TX
    I know it's so wierd because I have the white ones but half of the others are either solid black females or black males with a white head spot. I'll take a pic. Also hatched some from him and my easter egger hens that are coming out light blond chipmunks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by