Sex linked traits?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by genesis120, Mar 27, 2017.

1. genesis120

genesis120 Just Hatched

Mar 5, 2017
    I have chicks from a white silkie rooster and a white crested blue polish hen. Half are black and white with four toes. Half are more silver and grey with five toes. Can these traits be an indication of sex or are they just a coincidence.

2. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Just coincidence. There are many autosomal (non-sexlinked) traits that are dominant and one parent is mixed for that trait (showing the dominant trait, but possessing the recessive) and the other has only the recessive version, I would expect about half the chicks to show the dominant trait, and the rest to show only the recessive form.

However, the color of the legs could be an indicator of sex, with the dark legged chicks being female and the lighter colored ones male.

3. genesis120

genesis120 Just Hatched

Mar 5, 2017
    Thank you, I thought it was just a coincidence but I don't know a whole lot about genes and traits in chickens. I don't think I'll be able to tell anything from the color of their legs they're all about a slate grey with pink toes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by