Sex-Linked - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SundownWaterfowl, Dec 18, 2010.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I was wondering if I cross a pure standard Light Brahma rooster with pure standard Brown Leghorn females if the chicks will be sex linked? I have no idea how sex-linking works.

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    yep it should work
    male - black patterned yellow/golden columbian
    female - black patterned silver incomplete-columbian
    punky

3. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:Thank you.

So the female chicks should be white and the males brown?

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    I'd think so

5. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:Thanks. [​IMG]

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    No No No Sexlinkage doesnt work that way. For red sexlinks you have to breed a Gold roo on Silver hens, you are breeding a Silver roo on Gold hens.

The chicks from that cross in both sexes would all look Columbian colored like a light brahma, the females will stay that color becuase they will be pure Silver gened, the males however will be split for both Silver and Gold genes, and will develope yellow/gold leakage as they mature so thats were the Yellow/Gold columbian thing comes from that punky rooster got from the calculator. But this color will not be apparent in the chicks and by the time it starts to comb in, the comb and sex feathers and other male features would start to show up around the same time anyway. So no, you will not be able to color sex these chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by