sex linked?

cmfarm

Crowing
13 Years
May 3, 2010
Elgin, TX
I have some olive egger chicks made from a creme Legbar rooster and Welsummer hens. They hatched out either red chipmunk colored or just solid red. Any chance the different colors a different sexes?

Maybe I can get some pics later. I may not really be describing the color correctly.

MPC discusses these breeds in their olive egger but the chic colors are chipmunk, black/yellow/white, or blue depending on breeding mix.

Upon further inspection the red ones do have very faint/messy chipmunk markings.
IMG_0120.JPG

Edit after seeing pics.
Ya they're striped so no worries. I don't see them being sex linked though. They should all be barred since the father is so no sex link there.
As for the red color. I'm assuming it's coming from the mahogany on the welsummer side? Seems some will express it more then others but its random not sex linked.
I've done the reverse cross myself and only got the dark chipmunk color as you're one chick.

Last edited:
Edit after seeing pics.
Ya they're striped so no worries. I don't see them being sex linked though. They should all be barred since the father is so no sex link there.
As for the red color. I'm assuming it's coming from the mahogany on the welsummer side? Seems some will express it more then others but its random not sex linked.
I've done the reverse cross myself and only got the dark chipmunk color as you're one chick.
Well sex link probably isn't the right word, but could they be auto sexing? Both Welsummers and Creme Legbars are so could there offspring be as well?

Back
Top Bottom