Sex Linked?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigredfeather, Feb 13, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have hatched some eggs from my RIR's. Some chicks are yellow and some white. By looking at this picture of the hens and rooster that fertilized the eggs, can you determine which ckicks are males/females. I know that these are not true RIR's. The lady where I got them mentioned they were sex linked. At the time I didn't know what questions to ask since I was so new to chickens.

But anyway, can I sex them by color accuratly?

[​IMG][/img]

2. dave3877

dave3877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2007
    crockett, texas
  3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Sex-linked coloring only works in the first generation of offspring. They offspring will be a hodge podge of colors.

From http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

Both Red and Black Sex-Links use a red male for the father. Either a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire may be used.

Black Sex-Links are produced using a Barred Rock as the mother. Both sexes hatch out black, but the males have a white dot on their heads. Pullets feather out black with some red in neck feathers. Males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers. Black Sex-Links are often referred to as Rock Reds.

Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses. White Rocks with the silver factor (the dominant white gene would produce all white offspring) are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Golden Comet. Silver Laced Wyandotte crossed with New Hampshire gives the Cinnamon Queen. Two other crosses are obtained with Rhode Island White x Rhode Island Red, and Delaware x Production Red. These two crosses are simply called Red Sex-Links. Males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways.​

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Sex linked chicks do not breed true after the initial cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by