1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sex-linked ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by giasmom, Apr 2, 2009.

1. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Can someone please explain to me what sex-linked means ?[​IMG]

2. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
  3. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Thanks, Good idea,very informative link !

4. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
  5. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Here is a picture of the offspring of my Golden Laced Wyandotte roo crossed with my Silver Laced Wyandotte hen. The males are silver and the females are golden.
    Sexlink chicks:

[​IMG]

6. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Were you able to sex them when they hatched, or just as they feathered in?

7. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:I had no clue what I had on my hands, until they started to feather out. Looking back, I think next time I'll be able to tell. There were definite color differences between the chicks, I just didn't know why at the time.

8. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:I had no clue what I had on my hands, until they started to feather out. Looking back, I think next time I'll be able to tell. There were definite color differences between the chicks, I just didn't know why at the time.

I would be interested in finding out if they are true sex-linked chickens, meaning they can be sexed by color when they hatch. I have a GLW Roo and SLW hens, so I might just have to incubate again to see.

9. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    If you look just to the left of the thermometer in this picture, that was one of the males. They had very distinct white markings. I didn't know why at the time. Just thought they were cool looking little penguins.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by