Sex-Linking Calls

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DancingWthDucks, Jan 19, 2017.

1. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Hi all,

I've been wondering, is it possible to sex-link calls? I recently read in "Storeys Guide to Raising Ducks" that if you breed:

Black Drake x Chocolate Duck = Black female ducklings + Chocolate male ducklings (or visa-versa), just as how you can sex-link Campbells by breeding Dark x Khaki......

There is a HUGE demand for call ducklings in my area- I regually see them selling for £25 for UNSEXED day old PQ calls!

I know there I'd the option of vent sexing, but I don't feel comfortable with the idea of it, and especially scince Calls are so tiny.

I'd really apprieciate ANY ideas or input.

Thanks,
    Charlotte

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Ohh yes it is possible, ive seen it work before and fail before. The part where is fails is if the ducks have any other genetics mixed in with their other genetics, or if they are homozygous or heterozygous for the coloring. So there is all of that, but if you have a pedigree to show pure color matching(or if you dont and they are just pure color matching) then your first generation should come out as you stated above :).

Sorry for my rambling, [​IMG], either way just go for it, the majority should still come out as you want.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Yes. chocolate drake over black females will give you black males (that carry chocolate) and chocolate females.
    Same goes for chocolate based colors, such as lilac

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by