Sex linking ? & Mating Standard size with Bantams?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Veggie4life55, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Veggie4life55

Veggie4life55 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    West Virginia
    Not sure where to post this so I am sticking it here...

We have had 8 chickens for 1 year, 3 new banti chicks since spring, and 1 new comer has hatched today. So we have as of today twelve chickens. [​IMG]

All but three or four are different Breeds.

So I was wondering since all of our chickens are different will they all be sex links or can you just sex link certain breeds?

The only chickens of the same breed are our Bantis but they are different colors. Will they be sex links? Because our Rooster is black and our Hen is brown and our new baby is a black feather footed banti... This has been our third baby to start hatching but first one to survive. So just wondering how sex linking works.

One other question...

Can a Banti and a standard size chicken mate and have eggs to hatch successfully?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Tadkerson's post is the best description of sex link I have seen. He goes into it with great detail. I think it is certainly worth reading.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

There are three different ways to make sex links. All require certain breeds or colors. Feather sexing requires certain breeds, but has some additional requirements. You don't see that much about feather sexing on this site.

Red sex links require mating a rooster with the gold gene to a hen with a silver gene. Breed does not matter if the color genes are right. Black sex links require a rooster that is not barred, a hen that is, but a combination of colors that produces a chick that is dark enough you can see a white spot on its head. Again breed does not matter. Either a Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, or Speckeld Sussex rooster mated to a Delaware hen will produce red sex links, for example. There are plenty of other possible combinations.

A black rooster and a brown hen will not make a sex link unless the hen is barred. Then it could.

Bantams and full sized chickens do mate and produce offspring.

3. Veggie4life55

Jul 11, 2010
    West Virginia
    Thank u very much!

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Just realize that mating sex links will not, in of itself, produce sex linked chicks.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:Correct. You need the pure genetics to produce sex links. Once you cross them top produce sexlinks, you lose those pure genetics. You cannot use sex links to produce sex links.

6. Veggie4life55

Jul 11, 2010
    West Virginia
    I only have one sex link so I am not worried about using her for mating as a sex link. I just wondered in general since pretty much all my chickens are different breeds if it would show up when they had chicks as sort of sex link. Thats all. It doesn't matter anyways. I can pretty much tell what they are when they are around 4 weeks old. So it was just a wonder more than needing to know for breeding purposes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by