sex links and burnout?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ebonykawai, Feb 9, 2008.

1. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm waiting for my chicks (omg, another whole month, will I ever make it???) and wondering if I should get a couple black sex links for aesthetic purposes, lol. I was planning on all RIRs, for the eggs really, but I'd love a splash of a different color. But...will the sex links burn out laying way before the RIRs? I've seen a few mentions of that possibility but no real posts about it.

Does anyone have older sex link hens (I mean really older, not just 2-3 years) that are still laying, and if so, how many eggs a week are you getting (under normal daylight ciscumstances, not winter)?

Thanks!

Lisa

2. ebonykawai

Gah. Maybe I should just stick with the RIRs.

3. crazychickens

crazychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Belleville, Wisconsin
    I have 3 black sex links, but they are young 18months to 2 years.
    I dont know how well they lay, I dont know who lays what in my coop.
    The egg farmer that I got my first 12 chickens from had 200 each of the red and black sex link then a few misc. breeds. He only kept them for a year and a half then sold them. He must have had a reason, but I dont know it.
    Sorry I cant be more help.
    Good Luck!

4. professor_yellow

professor_yellow Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2008
    I had black sex links years ago and their production dropped right off after 2 years.

I would go with Blaxk Austrolorps for steady egg production with your RIRs, and its a nice mix too. i have four year old hens that I adopted that give me an egg every other day, whem the new Hamshires,( same age) have failed.

Something to think about.

5. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Yes friend has austrolorp aound 6 years old & they five her about 4 week each!

or add a barred for some color they also lay long!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  6. ebonykawai

Thanks so much, this has been super helpful! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by