sex links are 25 weeks and no eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jjmcmurray, Sep 19, 2013.

1. jjmcmurray

jjmcmurray Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    Caroline Co, Va
    I don't get it. My red sex links are 25 weeks old and still no eggs from them! They don't investigate the nesting boxes they don't squat, nothing! Are they just bums? I have two Easter assets and polish that have been laying for about a month, so it's not like they don't know what the nesting boxes are for... I feed them laying mash and left over veggies and rice from our dinners, change their water daily... I'm stumped, any suggestions?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    How many do you have? Red Sex Links in general are usually good layers and fairly early, odd that they would be last in a mixed group to start laying. 25 weeks is not that old, but would expect them to lay earlier. Are they actual sex links or production reds? Some of the production reds I've have been somewhat older when they started laying. Have their combs/wattles turned red? Could they be hiding eggs somewhere or are they separate from the others so you know they are not laying? Some pullets never squat for people, and don't spend much time investigating nesting boxes.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  3. jjmcmurray

jjmcmurray Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    Caroline Co, Va
    Our Easter eggers and Polish hen are about 10 weeks older than the RSL. We have2 roos and 2 pullets. The roos have decided as of about two weeks ago to mount our laying hens but thankfully not their sisters! I figured they would've been laying by now

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you have pictures of the birds?

Do you free range?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by