Sex Links from Ideal?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lauralou, Feb 21, 2008.

1. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I am thinking of ordering a couple of Sex Links from Ideal. My problem is that I can't visualize the difference between the Brown, Gold, and Red Sex Links that they offer.

I know how dumb that sounds, because obviously, the brown ones are brown, the gold ones are gold, and so on. But I want my new girls to come in all different colors, so I need to see, for example, how gold is gold? Is it similar to the gold of the Buff Orp? Or totally different?

So, does anyone have pictures of any of these girls from Ideal, so I can get an idea of what they look like after they are feathered out?

I'd love to see them!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The sexlinks will probably vary between shades of gold and red and black depending on which combo of parent strains they use. Often hatcheries will all call a gold a gold, but shades can vary from gold to red with white undercoat. I have two "gold" sexlnks, one which is red with white undercoat, and one which is more gold like a BO. Same bunch from a local place too, as chicks they were the same color, but grew up differently.

In short, it will be a tossup on the real coloring of the sexlink as they may use different strains for each mix.

3. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I have 3 gold sex links from Ideal and they are a soft buff color and white underneath.

4. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Here's a Red Star: [​IMG]

5. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
  6. lauralou

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Yogiman, I've been there, and it's great info because at least they give you the cross that they use for each one. I guess I should have put that in my first post. Thanks for pointing that out. You, too, Silkiechicken, Thanks. I have all the info on a notepad, but didn't think to add it. So here goes:
    Brown Sex Link = RIR Roo X White Rock hen
    Gold Sex Link = RIR Roo X RIW hen
    Red Sex Link = RIR Roo X Delaware hen

I've also been to the Feathersite Sex Link page, and it's very informative, with some great pictures. I'd post a link to it, in case anyone is interested, but I don't know how... [​IMG]

Meriruka, Great picture! I searched Red Star and came up with McMurray hatchery. Is that where you got her? They didn't say what breeds they use to get a Red Star, but on the right side of the screen, where they say "You might be interested in" they listed RIR, NHR, and White Rock. I wonder if the Red Star is a cross of two of these. If so, that would make it similar to a Brown Sex Link from Ideal. Does anyone know if I'm on the right track here?

scgamecock, good to know what Ideal's Gold Sex Link looks like. Do you have a photo?

7. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Quote:Red sex links have a few different names I'm told. Mine came from Moyer's hatchery in Quakertown, PA. I got them there because they allow me to pick just a few instead of 25. They vary in shades, the one pictured (Parsley) is the darkest but even the lightest is not really that much different. They're great girls though and lay HUGE eggs.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Here are mine, they didn't come from Ideal though.

Gold sexlink:
    [​IMG]

Red sexlink that was sold to me as a gold sexlink:
    [​IMG]

9. lauralou

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Meriruka, I see. So, I had the mix wrong. It's all confusing. I definitely like the Reds, they're nice looking birds. Yours is lovely. And I DO want lots of eggs.

Silkiechicken, both your girls are beautiful, and I can definitely see the difference in color. The red is very red. It would be hard to mistake that. And the gold does resemble the gold of a Buff Orp. I bet the Gold Sex Link from Ideal is similar to yours. Maybe someone will have a photo.

10. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Does anyone have a Brown sex link from ideal? What did it look like when it was a chick?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by