Sex Links Genetic Questions

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
Questions 1 & 2

We are keeping a Buff Orpington Rooster. Can I breed him with Delaware, Cream Legbar, or Columbian Wyandotte to get Sex-links? If so, how will I tell them apart?

Question 3

If we get a second rooster for black sex-links, I would prefer a Welsummer, Blue Australorp, Blue Ameraucana, or Black Australorp.
Will any of them work to cross him with Barred Rock, Cuckoo Marans, Dominique, Delaware &/or Cream Legbar to get sex-links?

It will be much easier for me to hatch out and name/separate/integrate the girls and fatten up the boys before we get attached to them all.

Thank you so much for your knowledge, chicken genetics is not coming easy to me! Please tag anyone if you think they might help!

If you breed them with any of those three you will get sex links.
The Delaware and the Cream Legbar are barred which is a sex linked gene. Male offspring will be barred (they’ll have a spot on their head) females will be unbarred.
You might not be able to see the spot on the head of Delaware chicks because they are silver. Just like the Columbian Wyandotte. But that is ok since silver is also sex linked. As chicks, the down of cockerels will be lighter while the pullets will have gold down. They will grow up to be buff Columbian while the males will be silvery with a yellow cast Columbian. This is in theory… the female chicks from this cross might be too light to easily tell apart from their brothers until they start growing some buff feathers.

Yes, any of those roosters would work better than the buff Orpington, since they will have darker down as chicks.

The Delaware and the Cream Legbar are barred which is a sex linked gene. Male offspring will be barred (they’ll have a spot on their head) females will be unbarred.
You might not be able to see the spot on the head of Delaware chicks because they are silver. Just like the Columbian Wyandotte. But that is ok since silver is also sex linked. As chicks, the down of cockerels will be lighter while the pullets will have gold down. They will grow up to be buff Columbian while the males will be silvery with a yellow cast Columbian. This is in theory… the female chicks from this cross might be too light to easily tell apart from their brothers until they start growing some buff feathers.

Yes, any of those roosters would work better than the buff Orpington, since they will have darker down as chicks.
Awesome, thank you! I read through the giant sex-link info thread, and didn’t see Cream Legbar pullets listed on there (I have two of them), and was just double checking about Buff as a color instead of red.

Will sure make it easier on the kids if they know we aren’t keeping the roos from the get-go!

You might not be able to see the spot on the head of Delaware chicks because they are silver. Just like the Columbian Wyandotte. But that is ok since silver is also sex linked.

It's going to be exceedingly difficult to sex like any of the Buff Orp Offspring based on multiple genes working against it.

B/b+, eWh/e+ males lack a headspot due to the compound effect of Wheaten and single copy of barring.

S/s+ eWh/e+ males with the dilution genes found on Self Buff breeds(like Buff Orps) will be a shade darker no more than the s+/- eWh/e+ females...

It's going to be exceedingly difficult to sex like any of the Buff Orp Offspring based on multiple genes working against it.

B/b+, eWh/e+ males lack a headspot due to the compound effect of Wheaten and single copy of barring.

S/s+ eWh/e+ males with the dilution genes found on Self Buff breeds(like Buff Orps) will be a shade darker no more than the s+/- eWh/e+ females...
If I decide to hatch any next year, I’ll definitely post pics so everyone can see if there is a color difference and how much. Excited not to buy hatching eggs! This year we had to wait to see who were boys (except for my two legbars who we knew from day 1). I think I have 1 female out of the other 7 chicks…lol. 3 of 9 girls. Still holding out hope for the last 2 EE, but they are looking redder in the pea comb every day.!

Awesome, thank you! I read through the giant sex-link info thread, and didn’t see Cream Legbar pullets listed on there (I have two of them), and was just double checking about Buff as a color instead of red.

Will sure make it easier on the kids if they know we aren’t keeping the roos from the get-go!
Could someone post the sex-link info thread link? I need to read up ASAP on sex-link genetics :) I hatched out a "mutt" male offspring (by accident) from a bantam salmon fav male and porcelain d'uccle female - and his coloring is coming out beautiful, five toes, with a more d'uccle body type Will share a pic here tomorrow. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom