Sex links or something else entirely?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kara_leigh, Jun 5, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I got these six chicks from someone on Craigslist. I had posted an ad looking for pullets and he replied, saying he had some barred rocks. As soon as I saw them I knew they weren't barred rocks, but I took them anyway. At this point I'm not breeding chickens for the breed, I'm just wanting meat and eggs, so it didn't really matter to me. I had posted these pictures in the raising chicks section asking about their age. I was told they were 6 weeks, but the general consensus was that they were more like 4 weeks.

Well, I get an email from the guy I bought them from saying that he was told they were barred rocks, but they aren't after all and he was told by someone else this weekend that they are sex links. Here are pics of a couple of them.

Six are variations of this color. A couple have A LOT of orange on them (almost all orange, actually), some have just a little.
    [​IMG]

Only one looks like this. Mostly black with a bit of white under the chin and white tips on some of the wing feathers
    [​IMG]

The black one looks identical to my older black roo
    [​IMG]

The guy I got them from bought them from someone else, so I don't know if they are siblings or not.

The question I have is that a couple of the orange/black ones are already getting red wattles but the others aren't, so to me that suggests that they are cockerels. Maybe not, though. If they are sex links, shouldn't all of the orange/black ones be pullets? They have single combs, if that makes a difference.

What do you think? If you want I can take pictures of the rest of them tomorrow. Thanks!!

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    bump...
    Wish I could help you... the first one looks a little like my BSL.
    My BSL have black/yellow legs.

3. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Look like Black Sex Links

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by