Sex-links?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shelleyd2008, Dec 18, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My dad has RIR roos and hens, SLW roos and hens, and white rock roos, all in the same pen. Someone asked me if they would be sex-linked? I have no idea, so I thought I'd ask. We are planning on seperating them in a month or so, provided the weather stays somewhat bearable, so this will not be a factor in a month or so. Thanks.

2. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Shelleyd

A black sex link comes from a RIR roo X Barred Rock hen, aka black star, red rock. Chicks: white spot on head roo, solid black hen.

A brown sex link comes from a RIR roo x White Rock hen. Chicks: white roo, red hen.

A Gold sex link comes from a RIR roo x RI white hen. Chicks: white roo, striped hen.

A Red sex link comes from a RIR roo x Delaware hen, aka gold star, golden comet, red star, Cinnamon queen. Chicks: white roo, red Hens.

CornishX comes from a Cornish roo x White Rock usually.

Since the NH is a type of RIR I would think it could be substuted for the RIR roo.

As far as your chicks?

My guess is that if you crossed a White rock roo x RIR hen you might get one where the chicks if white would be hens and the red ones would be roos. Any other crosses would probably be barn yard chicks.

3. Rooster Ray

Rooster Ray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    South West Michigan
    Would the same be true for a RIR roo and a white leghorn hen? or what would you get?

4. estpr13

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    But it seems that most of them are with RIR roos, and since the RIR have the minority, (roos anyway) then they most likely would not be sexlinks, am I right? The majority of our birds are RIR hens, not roos, so they would just be RIR mixed, like I've been saying? I was asked on the BST hatching eggs if they were sex-links, and I wasn't sure.

6. estpr13

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    If you cross a dark colored chicken with a light colored chicken you will get some type of sex-linking. It may be indistinct.

For instance I have my 16 Delaware roo (white with Columbian markings) crossed with Dark Cornish hens. So far at six weeks of age I cannot tell which are which unless the whiter ones with black Columbian marks are hens and the Black with brown are the roos. But most of them look like a cross between a hawk and a pigeon.

When you house three breeds and both sexs together you get a hodgepodge. Some pure bred, some sex-linked and some barnyard chickens.

Sperm stays viable for up to two weeks (perhaps longer) after a mating I believe. If several roos mate with the same hen you cannot know who the male is or if it will be sexlinked. Especially since you have both red and white roos in the same pen.

7. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    Quote:I wouldnt get too caught up in what they call them ,its all gimmics to sell them ,the sex link part is what you need to know,
    your HENS have to have a silver gene,RIR hens will not produce chicks that can be sex linked,
    I dont think you will get any sex linked chicks out of your combinations

8. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

The RIR rooster with the SLW will produce a sex link.

The RIR rooster with the White Rock will produce a sex link if the hen has the silver gene.

None of the other combinations will. If you hatch a bunch of eggs from the flock as you stated it you won't be able to tell which are sex links and which are not.

Hope that clarifies a little. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by