Sex Links?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SuQMar, Dec 16, 2016.

1. SuQMar

SuQMar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    Does anyone know what I would get if I covered my Crested Cream Legbar with my black Ameraucana roo? Sex-links? Male-female ratio?

Thanks, Susie

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Yes, you would get sex linked offspring. Males would be barred, probably with some red leakage, and females would be black, also probably with some red leakage. They would be sexable at hatch.

3. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    If you do hatch eggs from these crosses please keep us posted with pictures. I would love to see how they turn out!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Should make a nice sex linked blue egg laying bird. Since the rooster is black, you're going to get mostly black offspring. Males barred (white head spot at hatch), females non-barred (solid dark head at hatch). Pea combs, crests and beards are dominant, as is the white skin. The white earlobes seem to be partially dominant, so that may be an interesting look.

Male-female ratio is going to even out to 50/50 if you hatch enough birds. Each hatch is a crapshoot for gender.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by