Sex links.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wayneh, Jul 3, 2011.

1. wayneh

wayneh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    N. E. Alabama
    My understanding is, breed 2 different types chicks and when they hatch the color of the chick indicates what sex the chicks are.
    If this understanding is correct, then if we breed a white leghorn and a RIR. will the pullets be red or white, or some other combination?
    thanks, we are thinking about setting a hen and would love to cross and be able to tell the roo's from the hens.

2. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    uhhhhmmm no. sex linking does not work this way. sometimes you may stumble across a sexlink that you "made" mixing purebreds but not like that.i bred a New hampshire red to a white leghorn and got what looks like the california whites. no sexlink. white rocks crossed with rirs in some form WILL produce a sexlink but youll need to figure that out cause imm not so sure.

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    If you do a search on hear about sex links you will find some posts that say if you breed what to what to get sex links. I was wondering about what you need to make them too and find the answer doing a search.

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

There are more sexlinks than I first realized, I'm sure that your search of this forum will find them.

Some of the most frequently encountered are:

the RIR rooster to the RI White hen which produces a sexlink with reddish-buff females and whitish yellow males.
    the RIR rooster to the Barred Rock female which produces all black chicks the females solid black and the males have a white dot on top their heads.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by