Sex Links

ginbart

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Bloomsburg, PA
Good Day everyone, I have a question about RIR’s and RIW’s. I have both.

Now I think if you breed the two of them you get sex links? Right?

But is it a RIR pullet and a RIW cockerel or a RIR cockerel and a RIW pullet? Can it be either?

AND when you breed them the while chicks will be cockerels and the reddish ones are the pullets.

I’m thinking ahead for next year and need all the help I can get. Thanks to you all.
big_smile.png
wink.png

In most of the information I've read concerning sex links, the male being used in a lot of cases is a RIR or a NHR. Thus, I am assuming the male should be one or the other in most cases.

I've never read where you can use either sex as long as you have the same "combo".

I've been crossing a RIR roo and some barred rock hen. So far (knock on wood) I've gotten some very pretty, healthy energetic black sex link chicks. Now..all I have to do is wait for them to lay! UGH, it takes forever!

Good luck!

I'll just butt right in, not because I have so much knowledge on this issue but because I find this so interesting.

I haven't owned a rooster in decades and unless I move - won't be getting one now. Back when I had roosters, I always had one or two that were different from my hen flock. That was just because I liked their looks and since I bought pullets, I didn't usually allow the hens to go broody. I knew next to nothing about sex-linked characteristics in those days. Might still be true
wink.png
?

According to Wikipedia: "Red Sex Links are a cross between a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster and a White Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island White or Delaware hen."

You'll notice that the rooster is a "red" - Rhode Island Red rooster . . . Rhode Island White hen.

I'm still a little confused about the hens. I had thought that "silver" genes would be necessary. So, like @migocontodos~, the absolutely-always-for-sure cross would be a red rooster and a Barred Plymouth Rock. Wikipedia says, "Blacks (Black Sex Link/Black Stars) are a cross between a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster and a Barred Rock hen."

I thought I'd gotten it into my little pea brain correctly that White Rocks would work only IF the hen had some "barred/silver" genes hidden away under all those white feathers. I do not see how it could be that Rhode Island White hens would work but here RChicks is saying that they do . . . .

RChicks says,
RIR male

RIW female

offspring - white males & red females

And, the volunteer contributors to Wikipedia say that your RIR rooster and RIW hen should produce a Red Sex Linked chicks
smile.png

Steve​

Last edited:
O.K. I have never done this but, I know I read it on ideal's site ((love their site)) so from there:
<<<Gold Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Rhode Island White females. The female chicks are streaked with red or gold and can be separated from the solid white male chicks at one day old. This cross, which is one of the most popular used in commercial layer operations, is an efficient producer of large brown eggs. This outstanding cross has excellent livability, and mature hens, which weigh 5 1/2 lbs. can be salvaged for fowl meat when their use for laying is over.

Mature males will weigh approximately 8 lbs>>>

idunno.gif
((I did say Red I should have said Gold Sorry))

Back
Top Bottom