sex links

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tcain24, Dec 8, 2012.

1. tcain24

tcain24 New Egg

Just wanted to help all those that have been impatiently waiting on there sex links to begin laying. I have 17 black and red sex link pullets that have just turned 24 weeks old Dec 4th. This very day I received my first egg after impatiently waiting since they were 16 weeks old. Everything i have read said that this breed would begin laying between 16 and 20 weeks old. By the looks of them i have 4 that appear ready to lay. I noticed that they began making nests in their nest boxes about a week before the first egg. Dec 7th I got 2 eggs and now today, Dec 8th i have gotten 3 eggs. I am expecting 4 eggs a day within the next few days considering the looks of the four hens i stated that appear ready to begin reimbursing me for my feed expenses. They have been eating 50 pounds of feed a week at $17 a bag for the last 12 weeks along with free ranging all day. Hope this helps for all that have been frustrated waiting on that first egg.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. fastbird

fastbird Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    Spread Eagle Wisconsin
    I have 10 brown sex links, at 18 weeks I got my first egg, at just under 22 weeks I had my first 10 for 10 day. It has happened 2 more times but for the most part I am getting 6-8 a day. I'm very happy with my birds.

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I have sex links too. Waiting on that first egg was like watching paint dry in the rain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by