1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex my Black Copper Marans?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dread Pirate Roberts, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    They're two weeks old today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If more info. or more pics/different angles would help, please let me know.

Thanks!

2. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    i think theyre still too young to tell...right now they all look like pullets...cept the last one...but its hard to tell with the angle so idk....but if any looked rooish id go with that one....but overall they still all look like pullets at this age....I think youll have to wait a bit and post pics again. [​IMG]

3. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    also...i just noticed that it looks like theyre in a paper towel box? i looks neat for photo taking purposes...what is it? howd u do it?

4. Dread Pirate Roberts

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Thanks! It's just paper towels taped to the inside of a cardboard box.

5. Dread Pirate Roberts

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Bueller?

6. NapsWithChickens

NapsWithChickens ZZZZzzzzz....

Feb 22, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hi Napa~
    I'm going to subscribe to this thread because I have some black copper marans eggs due to hatch in about two weeks and I KNOW that sexing them will be difficult. I found several great pics on the Feathersite that helped me to sex my cuckoo marans chicks at two days. I haven't been so lucky with the black coppers.
    Good luck!!!

7. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:LOL. I need to see the combs. Not to get your hopes up, but they do look like pullets, mostly. But we need pix of the combs.....[​IMG]

8. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

cute babies, btw

(double posted, but meant to say that) [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'd bet my last dollar the fist is a pullet...the rest, can't tell yet! I usually can't tell until about 3 weeks. Hope you get when you want! [​IMG]

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    napa, I have three chicks that are three weeks today, and a few days ago one of them started showing small pink "tabs" where his wattles will be. The other two have not yet. He is also showing some copper on his wing feathers, and the other two are not.

Don't know if that helps. You might check their chins; you may not be able to eliminate the chance of males this way, but you can probably tell early developing ones. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by