1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex my EE's please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BaGAWK!!, Nov 13, 2011.

1. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    I need some help sexing my EE's. They are around 8 wks old. I will put my guesses next to the photos. Pics are bad I know, how do you get these things to stay still?!

Roadrunner. My guess is pullet. Comb is not red or pink. No red in feathers anywhere, the red in the photos over her back is actually brown. I thought she was the ugliest chick ever, very nondescript, but it looks like she's actually blue now that I've gotten her out of the red light of the brooder and she's outside. But are those saddle feathers coming in near the tail?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Muffy. My guess is pullet. Comb is not red or pink. No red anywhere in feathers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beaker. My guess is roo. Comb is larger than the others and red. He also has red colors coming in on the white over his back.
    [​IMG]

Here they are in this order from top to bottom: (ignoring the chick that's cut off at the top) Roadrunner, Muffy, Beaker.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I pretty much agree with your guesses! [​IMG]

3. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Quote:[​IMG]:woot
    EE's are so fun, I love to watch how they change color from chicks! I would definitely get some again.

4. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Yeah, Beaker is the only one that doesn't look like a pullet. Two girls and a Beaker it is!

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Roadrunner--pullet
    Muffy---the way he/she is coloring out looks like a roo
    Beaker---I have not seen one colored like that till now. Maybe a roo

6. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Quote:On Muffy, I will have to watch for red on the back to come through, is that right?

7. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    BaGAWK!! :

Quote:On Muffy, I will have to watch for red on the back to come through, is that right?

Typically but not always.
    edited to better clarify: Red in the wing bow would be a boy in this case, but it might still be a boy without the red color.​

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  8. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:I agree here. Roadrunner is definitely a pullet. My first impression of Muffy was of a cockeral. Beaker's red comb screams roo but I've never seen an EE of that color.

So, 2 cockerels and a pullet with my count. I hope I am wrong about Muffy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by