Sex my girl for me?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by malorymug, Sep 9, 2012.

1. malorymug

malorymug New Egg

May 24, 2012
    Joshua, TX
    Hi, this morning my cute little girl crowed :/ She is the 6 chick I have gotten from a variety of places. All have been roos. I was certain she wasn't. But now I'm not so sure. She is 16 weeks old.

Can you look at her and tell me what you think?

Her neck feathers are nice and round...

.[​IMG]

2. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Sorry but I vote roo, barred rock hens are much much darker overall, and it also looks like tailfeathers are starting to curve and I can see sickle feathers. I'm sorry you are having such trouble getting hens...I wish I was closer to you, I can sex my Partridge Rocks at 1 or 2 days old and they are great layers and calm.

edited to say...that might be a Maran (same color effects apply) because it looks like it has white legs.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Need a better side shot, but the color, what looks to be saddle feathers and the crowing leads me to also say roo.

4. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Roo, look at the saddle feathers

5. malorymug

malorymug New Egg

May 24, 2012
    Joshua, TX
    Darn! It is my own fault for ending up with 6 roos. I just get day old chicks from friends and craigslist. With these odds, my husband says I shouldn't go to Vegas.

Next purchase will be from a hatchery, but I only want a few hens...

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    100% cockerel

7. malorymug

malorymug New Egg

May 24, 2012
    Joshua, TX
    So bummed and surprised. She/he looks so much different that the other roos I have banished from my yard.

Looking for a local source of female chicks in the south Fort Worth area...

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Have you looked into sex link birds? You can tell from the color what sex they are, takes the guesswork and heartbreak out. There are some great threads here, just be sure you know what you're looking for.

9. malorymug

malorymug New Egg

May 24, 2012
    Joshua, TX
    Yes, I have gotten that suggestion several times today. I'm excited about the sex link varieties at least to get me started. Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by