Sex my silkies!!!! Pic heavy...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shuizar209, Oct 18, 2010.

1. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    UPDATE: Splash silkie is a hen. She laid her first egg a few days ago. Black maybe roo? I think he mated with her? He mounted her by grabbing on her neck feathers with his beak. So I think he is a roo.

So I have 2 two month old silkies that im kinda sure what they are but need reassurrance. The gray and white (splash?) is a roo and the black is a pullet. What do you think? Also when will they get all there fluff?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    I would say the black looks more like a boy. And I'm a little unsure about the splash.

Silkies are really hard to sex.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  3. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I would say both are roos... but Silkies are really hard to tell till one crows or lays and egg.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  4. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    UGH now Im unsure of their age. They have a lot of fluff to only be 2 months old. Any one know of an age?

5. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    I have a 2 1/2 month old and it's looking like a pullet and has feathered out really nice. Maybe their around 3 or 4 months old?

6. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Both look rooish. The black definitely is a rooster. The splash might actually be a pullet.

7. Paaz1120

Paaz1120 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    The Splash is a Def. Roo. you can tell by the streamers on the head. the black one almost looks like a hen to me. I'm pretty sure its a hen. But they can be be hard but I am pretty Possitive.
    Nice birds though!

8. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    First, I agree with KCchickens, I think they are closer to 3-4 months old. The splash is a roo. The black one is hard to tell. there are only 2 up close picks and they are both blurry, but if they are the same age, I am leaning towards pullet for the black one. Though, it doesnt have a typical silkie tail, maybe mixed breed? The splash has very pretty markings though [​IMG] Also, they are non-bearded silkies, so they wont get the big poof on their heads (but they will be able to see, which bearded silkies have a hard time doing [​IMG]), but they will keep getting fluffier.
    My nonbearded black girl and her bearded blue boyfriend at around 8 weeks old (not sure about him, as I had just gotten him at a chickenstock. I think he is a week or so older than her). Notice all the feathers still coming in at 8 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

9. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    both roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by