Sex my silkies!!!! Pic heavy...

shuizar209

Songster
10 Years
Jul 11, 2009
Riverside
UPDATE: Splash silkie is a hen. She laid her first egg a few days ago. Black maybe roo? I think he mated with her? He mounted her by grabbing on her neck feathers with his beak. So I think he is a roo.

So I have 2 two month old silkies that im kinda sure what they are but need reassurrance. The gray and white (splash?) is a roo and the black is a pullet. What do you think? Also when will they get all there fluff?

36531_056.jpg

36531_053.jpg

36531_052.jpg

36531_051.jpg

36531_050.jpg

36531_049.jpg

36531_048.jpg

36531_055.jpg

36531_054.jpg

Last edited:
I would say both are roos... but Silkies are really hard to tell till one crows or lays and egg.

Last edited:
The Splash is a Def. Roo. you can tell by the streamers on the head. the black one almost looks like a hen to me. I'm pretty sure its a hen. But they can be be hard but I am pretty Possitive.
Nice birds though!

First, I agree with KCchickens, I think they are closer to 3-4 months old. The splash is a roo. The black one is hard to tell. there are only 2 up close picks and they are both blurry, but if they are the same age, I am leaning towards pullet for the black one. Though, it doesnt have a typical silkie tail, maybe mixed breed? The splash has very pretty markings though
thumbsup.gif
Also, they are non-bearded silkies, so they wont get the big poof on their heads (but they will be able to see, which bearded silkies have a hard time doing
big_smile.png
), but they will keep getting fluffier.
My nonbearded black girl and her bearded blue boyfriend at around 8 weeks old (not sure about him, as I had just gotten him at a chickenstock. I think he is a week or so older than her). Notice all the feathers still coming in at 8 weeks old.
39406_imag01741.jpg

Back
Top Bottom