1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex my silkies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by waycaster, Feb 24, 2012.

1. waycaster

waycaster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Penfield, IL
    [​IMG]

Pepper is perching at night, and is very brave... I hope male, but seems female from what I read

[​IMG]

Snowball and Shadow.... I really hoped were female but look like roos to me. They are both much smaller then Pepper

They were all born on Nov 13 2011

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

We need comb shots.

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Pepper is definitely a female. Need better photos of the others.

4. waycaster

Jul 29, 2010
    Penfield, IL
    THey really do not have combs.

5. peepblessed

If their comb are flat, it could be an indicated they are female but still not for sure.

6. waycaster

Jul 29, 2010
    Penfield, IL
    So under most circumstances, if the comb is larger and stands up, it could most likely be considered a Roo, and if they combs are small and flat, they can most likely, kinda sorta be considered hens. BUT until a egg pops out, you will not know for sure.

7. peepblessed

I don't know if anyone has ever had a quite large comb on a young silkie that ended up laying an egg. Maybe someone will jump in on that but a large comb, especially with any red in it at a young age I would have to call a cockerel.

8. waycaster

Jul 29, 2010
    Penfield, IL
    So if the white and black one have really no apparent comb at 4 months, it can 75% be assumed they are hens?

So I just went out and looked at Pepper first, honestly I dont even see a comb at all.

Snowball... nothing. the top of the beak looked redder then normal, but no comb to see at all.

Shadow.. again nothing, BUT out of the three shadow has a bumpy ridge all up the run of the beak, but it is not large at all.

Could I really have gotten so lucky to get three hens? Do not get me wrong, I will want a roo, but to hatch three and get all hens is amazing.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  9. peepblessed

Your black one and white one have awfully small crests for pullets so I'm not sure I'd give it 75%.

10. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    I have a verified silkie pullet with a HUGE mulberry colored comb so you can never tell.....

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by