sex of 10 week old Barred Rock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hen_House_Rocks!, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Hen_House_Rocks!

Hen_House_Rocks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Does anyone know at what age saddle feathers and hackle feathers should start to form? I have 8 barred rock's and I am getting suspicious of one. "She" has a very light feather coloration compared to the others, but other than that, no other signs of being a cockerel. We are getting ready to process most of them and want to keep her if she is in fact a roo. (She is quite onery compared to the others and if she is in fact a pullet she will go. She is the only one who I cannot get to go into the coop at night and will not come near me. I've ended up locking her out at night for the last week or so because she just will not go in. I think she likes playing "tag." She is impossible!!)

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I can't help you on the gender, but some of my sussex did the same thing. It seems I only have a hard time with juveniles. Once you get her in, leave them inside for a couple days. That usually does it for me.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Cockerels are lighter than hens 99% of the time and sexable as soon as they fluff out after hatch. If you post a picture, I can usually tell you with certainty what you have, especially at ten weeks. Some fool me, but not too many. You'll already start seeing shiny, pointy saddle feathers, especially if you part the back feathers and look underneath.

4. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    If it is a cockerel, it should have a considerable comb by now too. Mine is only 8-weeks and I knew he was a roo at around 2-weeks just from the comb size.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Most BR cockerels have sizable combs by 8 weeks, but I've seen some that didn't. Zane didn't till he was about 11 weeks old. The color is usually a giveaway since BR boys get two copies of the barring gene, making them twice as light as the girls.

6. Hen_House_Rocks!

Hen_House_Rocks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    The comb is the same size as the other chickens of the same age and breed. I checked her feathers a little more closely and didn't see any pointed feathers. I'll try to post a picture... I'm not real good at taking chicken pictures. They move awful quick! Almost as quick as a 2 year old!

Thanks for all your input! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by