Sex of 2 week old Bantam chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cornishbutterfly, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Cornishbutterfly

Cornishbutterfly In the Brooder

Jan 27, 2018
    Hi everyone!

I recently incubated and hatched 4 gorgeous chickies!! 3 are bobtail bantams and one little black one is a mixed breed bantam. The bobtails area just over 2 weeks old (on Wednesday and Thursday) and the little mixed was 2 weeks yesterday (Saturday).

I've read alot about feather sexing and how fast feathers grow in etc, but to be honest I'm still I'm not sure... Would it be ok to upload some pics (albeit blurry as they don't stop moving!) just to maybe get some opinions?

Thank you all in advance :D

2. Cornishbutterfly

Jan 27, 2018
    DSC_2934.JPG DSC_2935.JPG

Chick 1-hatched Wednesday

Better Than Rubies likes this.
  3. Cornishbutterfly

Jan 27, 2018
    DSC_2936.JPG DSC_2937.JPG

Chick 2- hatched Wednesday

4. Cornishbutterfly

Jan 27, 2018
    DSC_2940.JPG DSC_2941.JPG

Chick 3 - hatched Thursday

5. Cornishbutterfly

Jan 27, 2018
    DSC_2945.JPG

And the naughty 4th chick mumble- hatched Saturday
    Sorry for all the pics but any advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

6. ben0125

ben0125 Songster

Im pretty sure its very hard to sex them at this age but just watch for things like comb development and feathering.

Cornishbutterfly likes this.
  7. JedJackson

JedJackson Free Ranging

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    I've read feather sexing only works for certain breeds, so it may not be possible for these chicks. Generally speaking chicks need to be 7 or 8 weeks old to have a good shot at sexing them by appearance.

Cornishbutterfly likes this.
  8. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    Feather sexing only works in breeds specifically bred up for that. You'll have to wait until six weeks, then post pics of their combs. :)

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    True feather sexing that is determining the gender of the bird by examining the feathering on the wings is possible only on birds bred specifically for that trait to be linked to their gender and the "reading" must be done within the 1st 3 days of life to be accurate.
    Sexing by assessing feather development is different and is done over the 1st 6 weeks by looking at clues such as whether or not the bird has developed tail feathering at about 2 weeks of age, whether the bird is feathering in over its body as quickly or more slowly then other birds from the same hatch or the same age, and in certain breeds whether the bird as feathering in in a color or pattern that is associated with the male or female of that breed
    Given the photos you have posted none of the birds you show are displaying any blatant signs of being cockerels however their age is still very young for a true gender determination. Continue to monitor characteristics such as feathering comb & wattle development and color and other characteristics over the next 4 weeks

10. Cornishbutterfly

Jan 27, 2018
    Thanks guys useful to know! There's so much information om
    Thank you very much for that info. I will keep an eye on them and post a couple pics in a couple weeks and see what you all think then, unless it's pretty obvious and I don't need to :)

drumstick diva and JedJackson like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: