1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex of a RIR

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hero2three, Apr 19, 2009.

1. hero2three

hero2three Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    I bought these at the local TSC. Supposedly mixed pullets however they were 99% sure that they were all RIR. Here they are at 3-4 weeks. Any suggestions on the gender. Sorry about the poor pics. Note that two have very long white tail feathers and the other four have short dark feathers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Take better pictures and maybe someone can help you, Good luck

3. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

It might be to early to tell if they are boys or girls though.

Is there a way to get pictures of them close up? The head / comb area and the wings and tail?

4. hero2three

hero2three Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    here are some better pics 2 like this one [​IMG]

four like this [​IMG]

Note the tail feathers, the combs are all the same.

5. jywel417

jywel417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    I am new to chickens but they kind of look like they are feathering in like my Red Sex Link chick did. I have a chick that might be a RIR or Production Red and at 2 1/2 weeks it is feathered in much darker than yours, but that might not make any difference really.

Here was my red sex link at maybe 2 weeks?

[​IMG]

But then again here she is at around 4 weeks

[​IMG]

And here is a picture of the chick I think is a RIR or Production Red at 2.5 weeks

[​IMG]

I don't know if my pictures will help you any or not. . . I know pictures can sometimes help me . . . . Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by