Sex of Barred Rock chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moonflowers, Apr 3, 2009.

1. moonflowers

moonflowers Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    I ordered 10 chicks from Healthy Chicks and More, plus the rare breed they threw in for free. I had planned on keeping 6 and giving 5 to my friend who is also starting a backyard chicken adventure (we both live in the city). When they arrived there were twelve chicks in the box. 3 were buff orpingtons, one was the rare breed (a Brahma) and then 8 black and yellow/white chicks. Since we'd ordered 3 BO and 7 Barred Rocks I assumed they just threw in an extra Barred Rock but now I am worried that maybe the extra they threw in could have been a roo. I knew I had a 50-50 chance with the Brahma but one of the Barred Rocks looks different than the others. She(?) has a lot more white on her than the other Barred Rocks. Is this any indication of sex, or is it just random? Since we decided to each take six I ended up with the Brahma and the Barred Rock that is more white. Should I be worried? They are only 6 days old right now so if we wanted to switch them out it would be a good time before they got too old. Any advice would be helpful as I don't want to end up with four pullets and two roos since I'll have to find a place for the roos.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you post a pic, I can tell you. The male BRs are lighter, overall, with a larger, more irregular head spot.

3. Smmcdn

Smmcdn In the Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Drummonds TN
    I also got 10 yesterday and all the people at the Tractor Supply in Millington TN could tell me is they are standard chickens. I don't know which are male or female and no idea what kind they are besides yellow and cute. They say they are about 2 weeks old and the guy that works with them wasn't in . I wanted them so I got them anyway. I'm just getting started as well..

Is it to early to tell the sex ?

4. speckledhen

Depends on the breed. BRs can be sexed fairly reliably at hatch. Not so with other breeds except sexlinks.

5. moonflowers

moonflowers Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Here is Domino with Pixie (Domino is the lighter one I am concerned about)
    [​IMG]
    Here is Domino by her/himself[​IMG]

Thank you so much!

6. speckledhen

BOY. Sorry, LOL!

7. domino looks like my silver laced wyandotte!

8. moonflowers

moonflowers Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    I was afraid of that. Thank you so much. At least I can begin to find him a home when he grows up. I really appreciate your help!

9. moonflowers

moonflowers Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    A Silver Laced Wyandotte? That'd be so wonderful as that was the third breed I was considering! They are gorgeous!

10. speckledhen

Sorry, not a SLW. It's a BR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by