1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex of Black Autralorp

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by curlygal, Jun 13, 2016.

1. curlygal

curlygal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    Ontario, CA
    I think I have a rooster but would like a few educated opinions before I find him a new home. Can someone please help? He or she is three months old. Thank you! :bow
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Looks like a Black Sex linked pullet, judging from the red feathers in the neck and breast area.

3. curlygal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ontario, CA

From photos I've looked at of a black sex link, they don't have a large comb or wattles. That's why I'm confused, I think. What is your opinion?

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    My initial thought was black sex link pullet but it just looks masculine and on that last photo you can see red patches coming in on it's wings which is a male characteristic, so I'm pretty sure it's a roo, especially with so much bright red headdress at only 12 weeks. It can't be a black sex link roo though because they are barred.

I would doubt it's an Australorp either with so much red colouration on it. Where did you get it?..

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  5. curlygal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ontario, CA

I got three chicks from a breeder in Norco called Chickens Galore. I already gave one away one that was a golden laced Brahma roo. The breeder does not claim to sex any of his chicks so it's my own fault for buying from him. I have a feeling this chicken is a mix of golden lace and Australorp maybe?. I sent the breeder a message on Facebook, asking his opinion as well. Fortunately I bought chicks from another feed store too, so I have eight other Pullets for sure.

6. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Yes, I do see the red on the wings at second look. Confusing bird. Could it be a Copper Marans Cockeral?

7. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    There is clearly a bit of mixing in this bird's pedigree and while I don't want to speculate on his heritage I am pretty darn sure he is in fact a He. At 12 a little pullet would not have wattles so large and so red.

8. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Agree. Also in the last pic that top tail feather is looking quite large and curly.

9. mj657657

mj657657 Just Hatched

Jun 13, 2016
    My guess it's a roo, my australorp pullet has a big comb but at 10 weeks old they are pink not red. My obvious Roos have bright red from the time their combs appeared.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Definitely a cockerel. That much comb at this age, plus the Red Patches of Death.

He's a mixed breed, this is a common outcome when one crosses a red and a black bird. His yellow skin says he can't be a Marans, they have white skin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by