sex of chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by potato chip, Nov 24, 2016.

1. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer Premium Member

I know it's probably too early, but I'm impatient and curious. I've read a lot of information as to what to look for and believe that it's probably pointless trying to know what the silkies are until they crow or not, but is it possible to get any ideas about the other chicks? They started hatching 4 weeks ago tomorrow. I believe that I have 2 polish/silkie crosses and 2 black copper marans (as well as the 4 silkies). I'm feeling that one of the marans might be a boy but I know nothing and have never hatched chicks before so I might (hopefully, I'll have to give any boys away) be wrong.

[​IMG]
    The one I'm thinking might be a boy is the one in the middle with his back turned. He's got really thick legs which hopefully can be seen. I'm thinking the one in front is the other maran. It has more feathers than the suspected boy, who is a bit "balder" on the wings and neck.

[​IMG]
    This is the one I'm thinking might be a boy (not a very good photo, I don't know how people manage such good photos when they are always moving about). He's much bigger than everyone else.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are the others. I'm hoping at least one/some are girls. Are there any indications yet, or do I just need to wait?

Thanks for any feedback. If nothing can be known yet, enjoy their cuteness. :D

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some early signs of roosters can be thick legs and being bold and forward. Many will start getting wattles and pink combs at about 5 weeks. Pullets combs will stay yellow orange for a few months.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Red comb and wattle by 5-6 weeks has been spot on for my large fowl breeds...it's pretty obvious.

4. potato chip

Thanks, the photo of the "boy" isn't very good. He's bigger than everyone (not surprising when most are silkies and polish/silkie crosses, but he's bigger than the other one I think is also maran), he's the "smartest", the first to do things, he's got really "fat" legs, and his feathering isn't that great. He does have a pink comb, you can't see it very well in the photo. I've just had the feeling that he's a boy from early on.

Does the better feathering of the others indicate they are girls? The other maran in front does have a yellowish comb, I'm hoping she's a girl.

I should really be hoping many are boys, I've got too many chooks as it is, I just don't want to have to give any of them away. I hope I can find a good home and the boys don't get killed. :(

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Many roosters feather out slower than pullets. I can just look at mine after they are a few weeks and see the roosters. They are very obvious once you know what you are looking for. I have never been wrong on my own birds, photos can be harder. So if you got a feeling it's probably right.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry I am not of any help on these but, it's nice to see you here Potato Chip [​IMG]

7. potato chip

Yes, I was told that when I went to the chook farm and picked out my 2 little girls that I got after I adopted my isa browns. I hope the nice feathers on the "others" shows them to be girls, I'd love to keep them. It's a shame I'm not somewhere I could have a rooster, I think my "big boy" (if he is indeed a boy) is lovely.

8. chickenlady70

chickenlady70 Just Hatched

Nov 25, 2016
    You may try looking at the wattles. In Roos The wattles will turn red far before the comb will and while the girls still have yellow wattles

9. chickenlady70

chickenlady70 Just Hatched

Nov 25, 2016
    And if you really like your boy you could always try a no crow collar

10. potato chip

The fellow who owns the parents of my new babies has that on his (but I don't know whether his council allows roosters, ours doesn't, so they could make you get rid of it, collar or no collar). I'd rather he went out to the country where he could crow as loudly as he likes. His/her feathers looked much nicer today, maybe he's a girl! (odds are against all of them being girls, but I can always daydream. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by