1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex of cochin EE cross, about 12 weeks old?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CrystalChick, Aug 13, 2013.

1. CrystalChick

CrystalChick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    Vermont
    [​IMG]
    Not the best picture (sorry), but I am wondering about the black in the center?? Also, do we think the light gray in back is a hen?
    Thanks!

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The black bird looks to be a rooster-man. The grey is too far away to accurately guess. Can you get a better pic?

3. CrystalChick

Feb 11, 2013
    Vermont
    Will try later today when home again.. Darnit! Are you guessing this cause of the color of his comb, or do you see some feathering that indicates male?

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It's the comb. The feathering - it's too early to accurately sex based on feathering on a solid coloured chicken at 10 weeks. They don't start to get their 'boy' feathers until week 12, and even then you don't see total boy feathers until week 16-20.

[​IMG]

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

The blue one in the back.. what type of comb? If single, I would guess female. If pea, male. This is why a closer picture of her (hopeful) is important.

6. CrystalChick

Feb 11, 2013
    Vermont
    Found this picture of the gray
    [​IMG]

on my phone- it was taken about a couple weeks ago, so the bird is maybe around 10 weeks old?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by