1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sex of cochins?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AtRendeAcres, Jun 12, 2007.

1. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    we have 10 cochin bantams coming how and when would we be able to tell the hens from the roos?

I don't want to keep to many roos!

2. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    I have some that are 8 weeks old. At about 4 weeks i could see the start of a comb on one and about a week later it turned dark red. He has also been tring to crow for about a week now. The other three have very small combs. So im sure that they are girls.

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I have four that are 3 weeks old and I could see that one was a roo by two weeks of age. Now I think I have two roos but it will be another week or two before I am sure. I think by a month old you should see but it may be two months before you can be sure because there are always late bloomers.

4. AtRendeAcres

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    so the the boys have bigger wattles than?

5. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Bantam cochins begin to show what sex they are really early. By a few weeks old you can make a pretty accurate guess just by comparing the size and color of their combs. The boys combs get bigger and turn reddish.

chel

6. AtRendeAcres

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Thank you so very much!! This information is very helpful to us!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by