sex of muscovey ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chicken farmers, Dec 4, 2008.

1. chicken farmers

chicken farmers Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    purchased 3 muscovey ducks 5 weeks ago they were aproximately 4 or 5 days old theyre feathers are starting to come in i heard you could tell sex by the size of theyre feet but they all seem to have the same size feet and dont look oversized feathers so far are all white

2. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

If their feet are all the same size then you might have all the same sex. The male's feet is normally larger. The red face will start to grow with the males pretty soon. Females it takes longer to develop and at least with ours, never gets that large.

Good luck - I love ours.

3. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    Their body size is also a bit larger in the male. You may need to look closely to see the difference.

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    once they are full grown you will not have any trouble telling them apart.. the males will be almost twice as big as the females..

I never heard about the big foot method.. what if you only had one duck and nothing to compare his/her feet to?? LOL

5. justhatchin

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    Once you have had babies and see the difference you can tell even if there is only one.
    A females foot is sort of dainty for the size of the duck and the males I swear look like he is going to trip on him self. Wider not so much longer.

6. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I got 3 "teenagers" out there.. tomorrow I am going to take a good look at their feet.. I already suspect one is a male ..

and what are you doing still up at this time of night??LOL

..jiminwisc...

7. justhatchin

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    Worked till 5:30- home by 6 -Grandkids xmas program at 7 -35 min. away- supper late- chores late- all keyed- up trying to relax from go-go-go.

going to bed now- must work tomarrow- wont be on BYC till after 8pm. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] Good night

edit to ask and your excuse?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  8. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    If I go to bed before midnight I cannot sleep past 4 AM and I am up.. I like to get up at 8 AM..

good night..

....jiminwisc.......

9. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

So, did you take a look at them?

Dainty - that is the word I was trying to think of. The females just have this dainty look and waddle to them. They males just lumber along.

10. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    [​IMG] dainty feet females [​IMG] big foot males [ teens]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by